Saturday, September 16, 2023

A Burning Sun

A friend and I decided to go outside to buy some food items a day ago. The store was within walking distance so we decided to get some exercise. It was around 3pm at noon so the weather was cooler. As we were walking near vehicular traffic, we went in single-file fashion. I walked ahead, so once in a while, I would stop to check our distance.

I happened to look up to the sky during one of these stops and I was surprised to see the afternoon sun still high in the sky and looking like it's actually burning. So I hurriedly took a picture and pointed it out to my friend.

A burning sun in the sky
A burning sun in the sky?

I took a zoomed in shot so it looks clearer. On second look, it looks like someone burned a hole in the sky. It looks similar to the circular holes you get when you burn paper with a cigarette. I'm sure this was not a reflection or an effect from my phone's camera. 

I know sunsets can be all sorts of colors but mostly yellow or orange, even red. But this actually seemed like it was moving so the yellow part looked like actual flames. It even looks like molten gold too. Now, I wish I took a video instead.

For a second, I can sympathize with Truman in The Truman Show when he found out that the sky in his neighborhood was fake. My mind suddenly recalled the movie The Matrix. This definitely looks like a glitch. I also didn't see any aircraft around the area which may be the cause of this effect. 

I don't want to speculate too much about it either. This was just not how the sun normally looks in the afternoon sky. Maybe this is just one amazing surprise by nature.

I'm just grateful that the planet is still spinning and that the sun still woke me up today too. So it seems that everything is still, or is back to, normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment